Wednesday, January 7, 2009

You like me, you really . . . wait

I ran into this woman yesterday who doesn't particularly like me. (Not you Laura P . . . as far as I know.) It could have something to do with the fact that I once saw her in a compromising situation with someone who was not (ahem) her husband.

I always try to be pleasant enough. I'm not here to judge. I think she dislikes the fact that my spotting her took some of the wind out of her sails for judging some of my bad pre-marriage behavior. I don't really know. I don't really care. Can't we all just get along? Haven't we all made some bad decisions down the line? Didn't Jesus have something to say about this in John 8?

I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much because she doesn't like me, but she makes it all the more awkward by being extra friendly to my husband. What shall my response be to this?

It would be a weird world if everybody liked us all the time. I understand. My personality just rubs some people the wrong way. I've been told I am elitist and condescending -- in one sitting, come to think of it. I don't see myself that way, but I can sort of see why others might see me that way.

I think I am very shy. One on one, I'm fine. Talking alone in front of large groups, no problem, but I have a hard time in social group settings. Fortunately or unfortunately, I have a melodramatic personality, which I imagine could appear stand-offish or snobby in these types of settings. I am just coping.

Are you following any of this?

What is it that makes us say, "I certainly don't like you, but you have NO REASON not to like me."

No comments:

Post a Comment