Wednesday, January 21, 2009

God Bless America

I am writing this on Tuesday and you'll just have to excuse me if there are tear stains on my computer. How great does the United States work democracy. Two men shook hands and that was that. Our country's power changed. I dare you to look at the world headlines today to see if you see another country that does it so cleanly.

I just feel for those men. Bless them, that is a job I would not want. They look old and tired by the time they get done -- like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. I suppose they do. I remember thinking that Bill Clinton looked liked he'd aged about 20 years on the inauguration day of George Bush and I thought it again today. What a relief it must have been to get on that helicopter and just fly away. Good luck, new guy. See you all later. I'm going to bed . . . for the next six months.

I think I would have made a good protocol officer. You could see them on the news coverage with their headsets and walkie talkies. They were carrying giant notebooks and each one looked like the cat who swallowed the canary. Nobody knew what to do today so everybody was listening. "Step here? Oh, okay. Go up now? Fine." I imagine every other day in the office of protocol is filled with smiles through clenched teeth. "Don't call Queen Elizabeth 'Betsy.' Don't call the Queen 'Betsy.' Please, please, please. Don't call the Queen 'Betsy.'"

Add to today the fact that I am a Live Breaking News! junkie and it has been a big day.

Friends and loved ones, I know a few of you won't agree with me. You didn't vote for the new guy (guess what, neither did I) or you think our country isn't really worth the trouble. You know I respect that.

And I think we love each other anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, well-written post, Mary Lisa. I agree with every word & sentiment.

    ReplyDelete