Saturday, January 3, 2009

What do you do?

We have discussed before that it took me a long time to become comfortable with being an at-home mom. It was thanks to a certain friend whose husband prefers short blogs that I began to see it as a privilege and not some weird experiment.

During those first awkward years, when someone asked me what I did I would say, "Well, I worked for my father in the publishing field, but I have left that now." Thereby sort of leaving the impression that I was between careers. Lately, I have embraced the term "homemaker" and from my dear friend Patty I have added the phrase "practising mothercraft." It's fabulous. It sounds all artsy craftsy.

Frankly, I very seldom have to answer the question. I live in a very small town. Everyone knows that I worked for my dad, now I don't. No one really cares.

So imagine my surprise the other night at the New Year's Eve thing when I was introduced to a man I did not know and the FIRST question out of his mouth was, "And what do you do?" Well, my gut response was "nothing," but it was New Year's Eve; I was all dolled up; and, to be honest, there was just something in his tone that led me to believe he expected me to say something more impressive than "nothing."

Before I had a chance to say anything, the woman I was talking to shouted out enthusiastically, "She's a thespian!!" Now, look kids, it's true I have done my share of bad community dinner theatre and preschool productions, but it is not something I brag about. So I laughed heartily and said in my most charming, dressed up, cocktail party voice, "I like to say I practice the ancient art of home economics (wink, wink)."

He looked startled . . . and puzzled. "Oh! You're a home ec teacher?"

I didn't have the heart to tell him I don't think they have those anymore, so I said in that humoring way Auntie Mame has when she goes to visit the Upsons, "Why no, I practice home economics (wink, wink)."

"Oh," he said as his face fell. "You're an at-home mom."

And off he went.

Will I never learn the subtle art of cocktail party conversation?

2 comments:

  1. You are a thespian? Does Brent know? Who's the lady?

    ReplyDelete
  2. THESpian, Bren. THESpian. There's a difference. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete