Saturday, December 6, 2008

Who me, insecure?

I am a big fan of Beth Moore. I've done several of her Bible studies and I really like that she doesn't dumb things down. Some of her stuff isn't easy, but I appreciate the opportunity to try. More often than not, I walk away feeling like I have grown in my faith or at least my knowledge.

So I read her blog regularly (It's down there in my list), and I was interested a couple of days ago when she invited women to comment on their insecurities. The questions had to do with listing your insecurities and, as a woman, what role have men played in them. Well, now, I am not stupid. I have father figure issues and I can just jump right up there and admit it, so I answered the questions. Yes, I have insecurities and, yes, I have made decisions in the past based on what I thought would gain the approval of the men in my life. (As a boring side note, I would like to say I don't think my husband really counts in that department because I think that is a different situation, and we can talk more about that later if you really want to.)

Anywho, I was just fascinated to read the other women's comments. Many, many of them said it's not men, it's other women. Many said they had issues with their appearance and the way they felt because of the way their mother, mother-in-law, sisters, friends treated them. Girls, do NOT tell me you don't know what they are talking about. I had to go back and make more comments. I think I've written an entry about this. (Lace up my Chuck Taylors and call me Rockii )

As I read these entry I thought of the women I have spoken to lately who ALL say the same thing, "I just can't figure out how to get along with other women." These are smart, lovely, funny women who feel like everybody else knows how to do it and they don't. Holy cats, I am starting to wonder.

I also thought about pants. In sixth or seventh grade the pretty, blond, popular Barbie-like girl in my class asked my best friend at the time why ever she would want to be my friend when I wore such weird pants. Every time I am in the dressing room trying on pants, I freak out. Are these pants weird?! It was 30 years ago!! Get over it!! I can be a snappy little dresser when I get the opportunity to leave the house. Yet I am still bound to the memory of what that child thought of me.

I sure hope Beth is going to devote some energy on this project.

1 comment:

  1. My husband often asks me why I care so much what other people think. My response is to blink at him and say "How could you not care?"

    The fact is, to be recreated in His image means to love without reserve and to give 'til it hurts. This sort of thing is very hard, though, if we are looking to other people to build us up and not to the true source of grace and strength. We cannot give what we don't have--and Our Lord has it!

    Oh, and by the way. Your backside looks really skinny in those jeans you're wearing today. ;)

    ReplyDelete