Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Travel clothes

You know I've been shopping in my own closet. Well, I dug to the bottom of the cedar chest where I keep my sweaters and came up with a large green cable knit sweater from Ambercrombie and Fitch. Not "Ambercrombie!" or "A&F," mind you. No, I bought this sweater from good old Ambercrombie and Fitch back in the day when they sold cable knit sweaters. Maybe they still do . . . but I doubt it.

I bought it at Rosedale, a St. Paul suburban mall, in 1991 or so. The store used to have red plaid carpet and smelled woodsy or something. I can't recall specifically, but I thought I was shopping the big time -- somewhere your grandfather would have gone for a good coat before his Grand Tour of Europe.

It was a big purchase for me, sucking up a hunk of just-out-of-college funds. I was really excited to shop in an "older" store like that. My usual route was Express or Limited, but I thought I was ready to class it up a bit for my new career wardrobe.

In the end, I never really had a career and Ambercrombie! sells tiny t-shirts, sweatshirts and ripped jeans (Frankly, I don't know. It's been a long time since I've been in there. Those windowless stores scare me.) But I still have the sweater. It's a nice sweater. A classy sweater.

And I guess I do wear it to "work."

No comments:

Post a Comment