Friday, December 19, 2008

Yes, well, there's that.

Little reader-friend Audrey hit it right on the head, didn't she? In case you missed it she wrote:


As extreme as Arizona and Minnesota can be, they are home :)



Well, shoot. That's it, isn't it? I'm home here among my own people -- the frozen lake driving fisher people; the Lion/Rotary/Shriner "pancake feed" makers; the Bohemian (literally) kissing cousins; the hardanger, rosemaling grandmas (except for mine, of course); the polka wedding dances. Here we all are, and we all know what to do: 1. Put the winter gear in the car.

So now I am hoping that I have passed through all the stages of grief that comes with the onset of winter. Let's check:

1. Denial - "It's not winter yet. We can still grill. Just put it in the garage."

2. Anger - "WHY DO WE LIVE HERE?! IT'S NOT EVEN THAT NICE IN SUMMER. I AM MOVING WITH OR WITHOUT YOU!!"

3. Bargaining - "If we go to Florida at the beginning of March, it will be halfway from Christmas and halfway to spring."

4. Depression - "I'm not getting out of bed today. It's too cold. I won't be warm again until June."

5. Acceptance - "What doesn't kill us -- and this winter certainly could -- will make us stronger."


Yes, I think I'm ready now.

I guess I'll have a pop while I make some bars to serve with tonight's hotdish. (Non-Minnesotan friends if you need help with translation, just let me know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment