Thursday, March 31, 2011

Autism Awareness Month

You know I will do just about anything for a laugh.  (Wait until tomorrow!)  When it comes to accurate information on autism, though, I am all kinds of serious.  April is Autism Awareness month, and I hope you will take a little time this month to familiarize yourself with the signs of autism.  Not only will you be aware for the little ones in your life, but hopefully you will be more prepared to interact with the autistic kids and adults you encounter in every day life.

You can get some good basic information at autismspeaks.org. Have good psychological self defense, friends and loved ones.  There is no evidence that autism is caused by vaccines and there is no cure for autism.  If you run into someone who says there is, proceed with caution.

This is what autism looks like to me, and although I am a bit biased, I think it's pretty good looking.

1 comment:

  1. ML, I just did a cover story for our local Area Woman magazine on Autism Awareness. I'm hoping it will be well-received. I enjoyed meeting the family that is featured and learning more about their journey. That's what I love about writing stories. I get to keep learning! Anyway, I feel I can relate more now to your challenges and joys. I'll try to share a link if I can when it's out.

    ReplyDelete