Wednesday, January 5, 2011

"I'm 12."

Preschooler D didn't really want to have anything to so with his birthday this year. I was concerned about the fact that we had made such a fuss about "You're going to be old enough to use the potty when you're four."  We went to ECFE and Miss Cathy asked him how old he was.  No answer.  "Are you 16 today?" she persisted.

"I'm 12."

Huh.  Now, I don't think I can handle two 12-year-olds at once, so I quietly whispered to him, "You don't have to use the potty today if you're not ready.  It's okay to be four."  He gave me a big hug, but he still didn't want Miss Cathy to sing or wear the birthday crown or open presents.


Now that I think of it, though, he didn't really want much to do with his birthday last year either, and we were at Disney World where they make a really big fuss over your birthday.  I think he hid in my shoulder when Goofy came out to present him with his birthday cupcake.

Not everyone loves birthdays.


No comments:

Post a Comment