Monday, May 14, 2012

Seeking Adventure

My dearest little friend Allyson came for coffee today.  You may remember her as Chief Babysitter Ally. She is married almost two years now and hasn't babysat for us since we called Preschooler D, Baby D.  Her husband joined the Air Force and they have been living out of state while he trained.  Now they are home before he takes his first permanent assignment in Germany.

Naturally, she is both excited and nervous.  Wouldn't you be?

But what an adventure -- to be so young and married and living overseas and making friends and seeing things together.

Brent asked me at lunch if I feel badly that I missed that sort of adventure.  Yes and no. It would have been fun to have lived like that with Brent.  We had a more domestic beginning.

You know I have been thinking about Gigi.  She never stops learning something new.  One day this spring she was at my house looking at a rug.  "I'd like to get a loom," my 88-year-old grandma said.

Of course she would.

I think this might be the key to the adventurous life.  Not weaving (but who wouldn't want a loom) -- but always being open to a new experience and seeing your life for the adventure it is.

A few weeks ago I was at a store that carries natural beauty products.  "Can I get a massage bar for sports injuries.  I just started running," I said.  Young, Pierced and Tattooed led me where I needed to go.

"Anything else?" she asked.

"Yes, do you have anything for the callous on my finger from my bass guitar?"

Young, Pierced and Tattooed looked at me, tilted her head and smiled.  "You play bass guitar?  Do you have a band?"

"Ah . . . well, yes . . . as a matter of fact, I do."

"Wow!! And you just started running? You are busy.  That's amazing!"

Oh, honey, I thought.  You don't know the half of of it.  You wouldn't believe the adventure in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment