Monday, August 31, 2009

Date Night

We did have a babysitter Friday night and went to the movies, which was terribly exciting for us. Back in the day we went to the movies once or twice a week. Now it feels like once or twice a year. We went to see Julie and Julia. I'm a big Meryl Streep fan, so it was a no brainer for me. (Don't even start with me that Out of Africa is one of the best movies ever and ever of all time ever.) Also I have read the Julie Powell book from which it is based and am working on My Life in France which is the Julia Child book from which it is also based.

In case you haven't been paying attention, Julie Powell was having a little 30th birthday crises and so she cooked her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a year and blogged about it. She still has one of the best read blogs of all time. I have read reviews which call the Julie Powell book self-absorbed and whiny. Well, yes. Best not to read this blog then. Isn't that the very nature of blogging? I didn't mind her whining as much as I objected to her potty mouth. Oh, I'm not going to sit and say that I am incapable of throwing out the occasional expletive, but I think it's distracting in writing unless it serves a very specific and strong purpose . . . and even then.

I have to say, in this particular year of my life, I am far more interested in the idea that Julia Child started at Le Cordon Bleu at age 37, then started her famous cookbook in her early forties and her television career later still.

There is a lot of life yet to be lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment