Tuesday, July 14, 2009

VBS Day 2: Still Tired

I have the best job at Vacation Bible School. I lead the opening and closing large group times. I don't mind getting up in front of a group. I don't mind doing silly actions to a song. I don't mind preventing Skeeter, the Bayou comedic relief, from spraying "skunk spray" over the preschoolers. I don't even mind telling the adults over and over and over, "For the safety of the children, please do not use this door. No really. No, I am talking to you. No, not today either. Is there some other way I can say this?"

And you know it takes quite a bit to get my "precious meter" going, but standing in front of 250+ kids watching them sing songs from their hearts makes getting up at 6 a.m. all worth while.

But it takes a lot out of an introvert like me. People think you can't be an introvert and stand in front of large groups. Not true. Not true. What better way to avoid one on one conversation?

I had a meeting at church after VBS today and so I was scrounging up some lunch for myself made out of left over snacks. Robin, who is in charge of snacks (a job I would not want -- all those kids, all those food allergies, all that pickiness, all that prep work) said, "Mary Lisa, there's a Diet Coke in the fridge." Oh, friends and loved ones, it was though the heavens had parted and I could see a sunbeam of angelic light on Robin's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment