Monday, May 18, 2009

The Road

So Saturday, s'on Jeremy graduated from college and Big Daddy officially became father to a college graduate AND a 2-year-old. There is never a dull moment at our house.


I'm not going to lie to you. It was a long ceremony, but there's just something exciting about a Fargodome full of kids (because I am middle aged now, I call them kids) ready to take on the world.

My favorite part is when the professors come in wearing all their robes and goofy mortarboards. Gigi used to work for Community Relations at a university in southern Minnesota, and so I was recruited several times to carry a banner in front of a distinguished looking professor or department. I couldn't wait for my turn to be a serious professor sending my charges out into the world.

I walked through two undergraduate graduations, but I haven't made it to that graduate ceremony . . . yet. Life has a way of going down roads that are different from what you had planned. It's okay. I'd say, in my life, most often it's been for the best. And if I never get to lead the kids out, it won't mean a thing. I've had the tremendous privilege of helping lead that kid out and there are three more to come.

Three more to head down those roads that don't lead where you think. Three more all full of excitement. Three more ready to go when their time comes with someone bright and cheerful by their side ready to take my place.

Good for them. Good for them.





No comments:

Post a Comment