Friday, May 8, 2009

Mail

The mail was over an hour early today and it has thrown off my whole morning. How sad is my little life? I keep wandering to the front of the house to see if it's arrived. What, exactly, am I waiting for anyway? In today's freakishly early mail delivery was:

1. Pizza Ranch "Large for a medium charge" coupon
2. People Magazine -- which made me so mad I fired off an angry email. I don't even want to talk about it or draw attention to what made me so mad.
3. Credit card bill
4. Disney World vacation planning DVD -- because you can never have too many and they're free
5. Dolly Parton's Imagination Library book for Toddler D (Do you get these books? They are free regardless of income. Very fun.)

Now, that was an exciting mail day, wasn't it? Often it's just a bill or two, a cruise brochure for a line we can't afford, a donation request from the paralyzed veterans with diabetes and cancer raising funds against drunk driving child abuse . . . and maybe a Wal-Mart flyer.

What is it about mail that causes me to focus my entire morning around its arrival?

I think it's hope. Perhaps today, instead of a free Disney vacation planning DVD, there might have been a free Disney vacation. Maybe, instead of a bill, there would be an unexpected check. Maybe instead of a Hollywood beauty obsessed People magazine, there would be a bookins.com book. (See my link at right.) And, now, when does this ever happen -- what if there was an actual letter?

I'm just an optimist at heart, but when was the last time I sent an actual letter?

1 comment:

  1. My day totally revolvesa around getting the mail too. It always has. And on the rare occasion that we didn't get any mail, I've been totally convinced that the mail hadn't come yet. Once, I even confronted the mail man about why he was skipping our house. I love mail.

    ReplyDelete