Friday, October 3, 2008

For Margaret

Friends and loved ones, my little cyber friend Margaret has made a gooey butter cake and it left her lonely on her birthday of all things. Who will testify that it's worth another shot?

CRUST:
1 pkg plain yellow cake mix
1 stick butter
1 egg

Put this in the Kitchenaid and beat it for 2 minutes until you can make it into a ball. Smoosh it into the bottom of a 9x13. Set aside.

FILLING:
8 oz. cream cheese at room temp
2 eggs
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
(Do I need to remind anyone that imitation vanilla is made from wood pulp?)
1 stick butter, melted
3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

Put the cream cheese in the Kitchenaid (no need to clean it) and beat it until fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla and butter and beat. Add the sugar. Beat. Pour this unto the crust and spread it out.

Bake at 350 until it's "well browned but the center still jiggles when you shake the pan, 45-47 minutes." Cool 30 minutes.

With many apologies to Anne Byrn from her book The Cake Doctor, Workman Publishing 1999.

1 comment:

  1. Aargh! Your new posts have not been showing up on my Bloglines!

    Therefore, I'm behind.

    The recipe I used didn't have that crucial second stick of butter. Being the literal type, I followed the recipe and ended up with an ooh-less, goo-less shortbread.

    On Saturday night, my sweetie pie of a friend Ruth Ann made me another cake using your recipe. There was NO comparison. That extra 1/2 pound of fat made all the difference.

    Thank you for posting this, Marylisa. You, too, are a sweetie pie of a friend.

    PS. I have a copy of The Cake Doctor waiting for me at the library.

    ReplyDelete