Thursday, October 9, 2008

100 miles shoes

To celebrate 100 miles walked, I bought a new pair of walking shoes on endless.com. I love this site because it is so easy to use, and free overnight shipping is a rural girl's best friend. On the plus side, the shoes I picked were on clearance. On the minus side, they were so on clearance that there was no free overnight shipping. There was a note on them that basically said, "Because these shoes are so cheap, no overnight delivery for you." That's okay. Due to an onslaught of beautiful allergy laden falling leaves, I've had to move my walk inside to the treadmill anyway.



Outside, I walk down to the lake through the park and around home. On a typical, beautiful day this summer, it was not uncommon for my 40 minute walk to stretch to more like 50 minutes to accommodate all the visiting I had to do. First I would run into my grandmother weeding the gardens in the park. She will be 85 this winter (shhhh), and she cares for two large patches of native prairie flowers planted by someone with a grant and then abandoned. In the winter she presses the flowers and tries to memorize them so she can tell them apart from the native prairie weeds.



Then I would run into Grandpa Larry. I should probably send him a note. He might be worried about me. We see each other every day. Grandpa Larry is not my grandpa, but grandpa to the young boy next to Cyberspace Sarah's house. It's a small town.



Then I might have to grunt at my junior high math teacher or my father-in-law's number one golf partner and by that time Bonnie or some other member of my mother's self declared "Purple Pants Club" would be done at Curve's and be ready for a chat.



So you see . . . that 100 miles was a real victory!

1 comment: