Sunday, October 26, 2008

Boo.

Colin needs a scarecrow costume for Awana on Wednesday. Do you think the other 4th grade guys are going to go all out in this? I'm just not sure. I was thinking of putting him in a flannel shirt and stuffing a little straw in the pocket. Done.

I wasn't allowed to go trick-or-treating for religious reasons I really and truly understand . . . now as an adult. I didn't so much understand it at the time. I was allowed to have a costume, but I think my mother, a faithful reader, will admit that costumes weren't really her thing when I was small. When I had Colin, I was bound and determined he would have good costumes for this time of the year. Hand made costumes. Thought out costumes. Costumes that reflected my son and his interests.

The first year he was a scarecrow -- in a costume made by my mom, now that I think about it. He had a small crow on his hat. He was also a small cow, the Count from Sesame Street with a cape I hand cut flannel letters for, Tigger, and Linus from Peanuts. My most triumphant costume was a Lego costume made with a box, margarine tubs and a lot of spray paint. Colin hated them all. He did not like costumes. He's not big on pretending. The year he was Linus he put his blanket over his head and would not come out. I gave up. For several years after he agreed to be a ghost with a Peanuts like sheet with eyes cut out. The end.

So, as I said, I'm thinking a pocket full of straw. Baby D will be a puppy . . . in a costume I bought.

By the way, it's snowing. Snowing. SnowING. Cold, Icy. Snowing. I want to be a good sport. I really do. Brrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment