Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Poem for Tuesday

In case you are new to A Poem for Tuesday, we are currently reading poems from Poems Children Enjoy, © 1953, F.A. Owen Publishing Company.  These are all in salute to my grandmother who was a rural school teacher.

Today's poem is for Colin who loves to swing.  He's nearly as tall as I am, and when he swings the whole thing bounces and squeaks.  I am afraid it is only a matter of time until the thing breaks.  I need to add "reinforce swing set" to Brent's to-do list.  I am sure he'll be thrilled.

Sharing the Swing
Alice Cromwell Hoffman


When I keep the swing all to myself
I can go as high as our pantry shelf.
When I share my swing with friend or brother,
And we take turns pushing each other,
I go like the wind, away up high,
Till it seems as if I could touch the sky.