Sunday, January 6, 2008

Baby D turns 1

It was Baby D's birthday on Friday. I can't believe how fast this year has gone. When Colin was born people would say to me, "Treasure every moment. It goes so fast." And I remember thinking, "No, no. It's not nearly going fast enough -- all this crying and diaper changing and bottle making." Oh, but it did go fast and Baby D has gone faster yet. A year today we were just coming home from the hospital and getting settled. Now look at us -- still trying to get settled. HA!

It hasn't been easy. My sister loves a blog called "Antique Mommy" written by a woman who became a first time mother in her 40s. I'm not quite there, but Brent is and we thought our life was headed in a certain AARP direction. Then along came Baby D and we are on a totally different path. Totally different. Totally. It has taken some adjusting.

We stopped at Target today with Shelby on her way back to school. I asked the checkout child if she would please keep some things separate so that the college bags would be ready to go. She looked at me and looked at Daniel and looked at me. I gestured towards Shelby. Earlier in the day someone asked me if Shelby was my sister. (No, but thank you, I am flattered . . . and so should my actual sister be, I think.) Then while at Target Shelby and I stopped to talk to a great-grandma I am sure was not older than my mother. How can you tell what life stage a person is in?

Oh, it's all very confusing. But it goes. My friend Linda says, "God is good. All the time." And this is true. Baby D's laughter and bright spirit have filled up a space in our family we did not know was missing. Thank goodness He did.

No comments:

Post a Comment