Thursday, August 11, 2011

Circus

The first thing we saw at the circus was a pony ride.

"Would you like to ride on the ponies?" I asked Preschooler D.

"No," said D sadly.  "They will go too fast."

"No, they won't.  Just watch,"  I said, and the ponies started walking in their little circle.  D jumped about two feet straight in the air.

"They are going SLOW!!" he cried out.

"Do you want to ride a pony?"

"YES!!"




This isn't the best picture I took of a boy and his pony, but it's the one that best captures how that kid beamed.  He thought he invented pony riding.  It was the look of a kid who thought he couldn't do something because he would be too afraid and then he discovered he could.

When he got done we headed through the tent doors and D said, "This. Circus. Is. AWESOME!"

And I'd have to say we certainly got our $12/per worth.  We saw:

Jugglers
Acrobats
Tight rope walkers
Trained dogs
Trained ponies
Trained llamas
A bicycle act
A loud obnoxious ring master
A contortionist
Clowns
Trapeze artists
A double ring walker act that made my jaded teenager say "Wow!" softly under his breath so no one would hear and think he was having a good time. (Kudos to him for coming along with me and D and GrandMary in the first place.)

And, of course, the elephants.  One of the websites I regretted looking at yesterday said, "Go if you must . . ." but be sure and study the scarring on the elephants legs from their daily abuse.  I looked and all I saw were elephant legs.   Here they are giving a family a ride.  You can look for yourself:



Now, I will grant you that the keeper-guy looks like he could beat an elephant if it looked at him crossly, but I did not observe any such thing.  He's got that stick thing, but it's not like you're going to put an elephant on a leash.  I'm just going to assume this circus learned its lesson about being nice to elephants.  We can discuss later if it's appropriate for elephants to be in the circus at all.

I would have liked a ride on an elephant, but Teenager looked at me as though he would sink through the earth if I did.  Here they are in the tent:


Mother said she saw a tear rolling down the cheek of one as it wrote "Help me" in the hay in its pen.  I didn't see that, and she tends to exaggerate.