Sunday, November 16, 2008

White Rose



Our church displays a white rose every time someone prays to receive Christ. Today there was one for Colin who prayed with his Sunday School teacher.

Julie, the Christian Education leader, called last week to ask if Colin had told us. No, I explained to her. Reporting things at home is not a strength of Colin's . . . besides, I patiently explained, Colin sometimes says what he thinks you want to hear. I'm not really sure . . .


So I asked Colin, "Did you ask Jesus to come into your heart?"


Yeah.


"Do you understand what that means?"


Yeah.


"Oh. Wow. Well . . . Dad and I are really excited and proud for you, honey! That's really neat!"


Yeah.


Julie told me she was sort of worried about her teen aged son having not prayed this prayer and confronted him.


"Oh, Mom, I did that years ago at camp."


Well. I guess Mother is always the last to know. I want to say so much that I am just proud and happy and not in the least a little sad and jealous that I wasn't there when he prayed, but I feel a little bit like my baby took his first steps and I wasn't there.
BUT, I did see his first steps and I have been there for so many things and I am the one who drove him to Sunday School that day and picked him up . . . and I am here now. Colin is now, and has always been, in better hands than mine.

2 comments: