Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving

Our church has a Thanksgiving Eve service entirely of music followed by pie. In the words of Food Network star Ina Garten, "That can't be all bad." Usually Brent and I sing, but this year I urged Brent to sing with Colin. They worked up a very nice little version of the Chris Rice song "Enough." Colin did the arranging. They got up there and Colin could not have been cuter. When they were done, the next people to sing popped right up to go on stage and everyone got excited and gave them a standing ovation. So it was an accidental ovation, but enthusiastic nevertheless. I cried. I wasn't the only one.

I am a little concerned it was a sympathy ovation for the "special" kid. I don't think there was too much of that. It was good, even if I am a little biased and we have been through a lot, but . . .

I am torn between feeling amazingly proud, slightly embarrassed and horrified that we have a kid on our hands who God created for a purpose so much bigger than our little life in West Central Minnesota. We'll just have trust Him to work it out. That always seems to be the best and least complicated plan.

So as corny as it sounds, I am thankful for my family today and the amazing jouney that I am on. It isn't the one I envisioned when I was small, but it is just right.

1 comment:

  1. (Trying to see through my own biases) Due to the length and intensity of clapping, I wouldn't say for sure it was accidental. And as far as sympathetic, I don't think the vast majority of the congregation would have thought there was any reason to be sympathetic. This is where my biases will undoubtedly move in, but while I thought it was definitely the best of the night, I also don't recall a better song in years past. Kids are always cute singers, but a 9 yr old on cutouts is something to behold.

    ReplyDelete