Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Beat Box Blues

I have just watched Blake Lewis, the beat boxer from American Idol last season, on Ellen. I'm pretty sure if he and I were trapped in a time/space continuum flux somewhere together in my pemarriage days, I would have dated him. And like so many of those relationships, I guarantee it would have ended in heartache for me. I always seem to be attracted to -- not bad boys -- good boys pretending to be bad. If you think about this very long (oh, and believe me I have) it's actually worse to date a good boy pretending to be bad because, at least with an actual bad boy, what you see is what you get. With a good boy pretending to be bad, you never know what you're going to get. Perhaps today, he feels guilty and he's going to be good. Perhaps today he needs to make up for acts of goodness by being especially bad. Perhaps today he needs to dump you because he has found a bad girl pretending to be good. Oh, it's all very, very confusing.

When I started dating Brent I was really at a loss. Here was a good guy pretending to be . . . well, nothing. He was just good.

And good boys, I have found, make good husbands.

No comments:

Post a Comment